Many individuals who hire someone to come out and clean the air ducts in their home are quite happy with the results. Many experts agree that cleaning the air ducts can provide a whole host of benefits to your health and well-being. You might want to look into having your ducts cleaned every 3-5 years to be safe. However, you might even want to cut that down to every couple years.
Depending on where you live, whether anyone suffers with asthma or allergies and how much your system is being used, you might have to clean it more often than others.
Knowing when to clean the ducts.
To help you better understand when you should clean the ducts in your home, consider the following:
• You believe that mold is already inside of your air ducts.
• You have dealt with vermin inside of your home.
• Insects or rodents have been making their way into the ductwork.
Take a moment to look inside of the vents. Do you see any black debris along the edge? If so, that often means that all of the pollutants have been making their way through your system time and time again. Look at the system whenever you change the filter. If you notice a lot of dust, it probably means you need to have your system cleaned.
How often to clean the ducts.
Now that you know when to clean the ducts, you need to know how often. Here are a few circumstances when you need to get the ducts cleaned in your home:
• Every 3-5 years.
• When moving into a new home. The exception to this is when you know the old owner had the ducts cleaned within the last couple years.
• After your new house is built. There is a good chance that all of the drywall debris and dust has made its way into your vents during the building process.
• If you have pets shedding dander and fur everywhere, you need to have the ducts cleaned.
Duct cleaning isn’t exactly optional. It is something you need to have done on a regular basis. Don’t skip out on it for the sake of saving a few bucks along the way. It isn’t worth it in the end.