There is a saying about weather in the South. “Don’t like it? It’ll change in five minutes.”
This is true – except when the cold winter air gives way to the climbing temperatures of spring and summer, you’ll want to be able to stay cool without having to empty your wallet for energy bills. We have put together a list of five key steps you can take to save money on your utility bill without sacrificing comfort.
1. Programmable thermostat – Having a programmable thermostat installed by a professional is easy and very effective. Programmable thermostats allow you to set them according to a schedule for when you want them to run.
2. Replace those air filters – This is a common maintenance task, and one that you should take seriously. Changing them monthly during the May to September is not a bad idea. Dirty filters will cause your system to run less efficiently.
3. Sun and debris – An awning or a tree near the return unit outside helps keep the unit in excellent operation because of the shade. Keep it clean though; do not let debris collect on the system.
4. Check vents – Be sure the vents are open. Even in rooms you may not use often, an even air flow is actually better for the home overall. Having your vents and ducts professionally cleaned is also a very good idea. This is a service that Fulford Heating and Cooling will be happy to perform for you.
5. Basic heat laws – Heat rises. Keeping hot air up and out of the home is paramount to good efficiency. Ceiling fans and standing fans run concurrently with an A/C will maximize your cooling in the summer.
For more tips and tricks to save you money on your energy bill, contact the professionals at Fulford Heating and Cooling.