Summer is on the way and your HVAC system needs to be ready to handle the challenge. Here are a few things you can do to make sure it’s ready.
1) Check the filters. You should replace filters once a month or more often if you live along a dirt road or have pets in the house. A clean filter means better airflow and less work by the system. A dollar or two each month saves on some expensive repair bills.
2) Clean around the outside unit. Make sure the drain line is open. Clear away any limbs, leaves and plants from the sides of the unit. Your HVAC needs open space to push all that air around.
This is a regular maintenance matter. If you hire someone to tend your yard, discuss this with that company. Mowing the grass can blow clipping everywhere, even pile up the grass at the drain line. Stress the importance of keeping the HVAC unit area clear.
3) Test it. Turn the HVAC unit off, including at the circuit breaker box. Now, turn everything back on. Set it to REALLY COLD. Give it a few minutes and make sure the vents around the house are blowing cold air. If it’s not cold, call Fulford Heating & Cooling to check the system. If it’s blowing cold, turn the thermostat back to the usual setting.
4) Get maintenance. Simple things like cleaning the coils and checking the refrigerant levels are easy, fast and inexpensive. Fulford Heating and Cooling knows exactly what to look for and what to do. We can top off the coolant if need be. We know how to clean coils without damaging them. A little maintenance cost now will save on big repair bills later.
We’ll also check the outside line insulation and replace any that is cracked or missing.
5) Let us hear from you. if you have any questions or concerns about your HVAC unit. We service all major models. If it’s getting time to replace that unit, we’ll give you a no cost bid.